Form 8. Module 5.
1) Complete the sentences with words derived from the words in bold.
PROTECT DISAPPEAR EXIST REFER DONATE.
1. The celebrities are generous____ to the tornado victims.
2. The magority of people are becoming more and more concerned about the ____ of the natural environment.
3. The____ of forests and natural habitats has resulted in the endangerment of more species.
4. Governments must pass stricter laws to stop the____ of child labour.
5. The politician made no____ to the country’s growing problem of homelessness.
2) Use the words in the box to complete the blanks.
• crack • rescue teams • forceful • occurred • natural • massive• survivors • collapse
No one could have imagined that a 1) ___ disaster was about to take place on December 26th 2004. At 8:00 am local time, an undersea earthquake 2) ___ off the west coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. The 3) ___ tremor resulted in a destructive tsunami which hit Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand. The force from these 4) ___waves caused roads to5) ___and buildings to 6) ___. Despite the fact that several countries quickly sent 7)___to the area to search for and treat 8) ___ almost 230,000 people died that day.
3) Fill in with the correct preposition.
1. The rock concert was called____due to the storm.
2. The police were called ____to investigate the disturbance.
3. The avalanche in the mountains calls____immediate action.
4. Tom called ____Mr Black to see if he needed any shopping.
5. Our grandparents will call ____ tomorrow to see our new house. \
4) Fill in the gaps with the correct prepositions.
1. There was an accident but luckily everybody is ____ of danger.
2. Oh, no! That car has burst____flames!
3. What is that light ____ the sky?
4. The earthquake left the city____ ruins.
5. Where ____ earth are my keys?
5) Choose the correct answer.
1. The plane____ showed the passengers what to do in case of an emergency.
A team В staff С crew
2. The terrible fire left dozens of buildings____ ruins.
A on В in С by
3. Cars and factories produce toxic ____ that harm the environment.
A fog В fumes С flames
4. When you go to Paris, don’t____ the chance to have your portrait painted in the Artist’s Square.
A miss В lose С leave
5. The ____ rain caused the driver to lose control of his car and crash into a tree.
A heavy . В huge С massive
6. The football match was called ____ because it was snowing.
A out В off С for
7. The lead actor felt under the____ and Danielwas asked to replace him in the school play.
A clouds В climate С weather
6) Match column A with column В to make sentences.
1) Thank you for a) to be reasonable.
2) Oh no, I forgot b) skiing often?
3) Please try c) walking home on chilly days.
4) Jogging d) to mail my letters. How nice of her.
5) They’re looking forward to e) letting me use your mobile phone.
6) He didn’t mean f) going on safari.
7) Do you go g) listening to pop music,
8) it’s no use h) to cause so much trouble.
9) Sarah remembered i) to pay the electric bill and now the power’s cut.
10) She likes j) to help the earthquake victims.
11) Jane dedicated her life k) to photograph the animals.
12) Teams of doctors tried l) denying stealing the money. You were caught on camera,
13) They don’t allow tourists m) play with matches.
14) Alex doesn’t mind n) to helping the homeless.
15) She doesn’t let her children o) is a great way to exercise.